Friday, June 27, 2008

Appreciation

I've been reading Dale Carnegie's "How to win friends & influence people." Well, let me start by saying "what was I waiting for!" I have been putting off reading it because the title is a turn off for me. I don't particiularly care for the idea of "winning friends" but I suppose the goal was to catch buyer's attention. This book is a great read and reiterates what many of us know but fail to see.

Think about it? How many times have we each been told or encouraged to be more appreciative and say yeah I'll try but never really do? I know I have, many times. Being appreciative of others and what they do is very important for each of us. While it will increase our rapport with others more importantly it will increase our rapport with ourselves. I know I personally feel better when I appreciate others but it is a scary thing. I think when we appreciate others we are exposing a part of ourselves and that is what makes it difficult. Or maybe it is just because it is the abnormal thing to do in our society.

Yesterday, I was going through the drive-thru line in McDonald's and got the impulse to buy the meal for the car behind. I was terrified. I started wondering, "How am I going to say this?" "How am I going to explain this if the cashier ask?" "What will she say? How will she look?" As I approached the window I knew I was about to make a choice. Either I followed the feeling or I didn't. Gladly, I did. It felt good and the cashier didn't make a comment or ask questions. I don't know who was in the car behind me but I hope it did brighten their day. Even just a little bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey...I never thought of doing this. How nice it would be to get a free meal. And you never would know who did it for you. Kindof like that movie pass it on. I think I'll give this a try. :)